Thursday, March 20, 2008

Eggsclamation!! price for an egg?

My favourite Easter memory dates back to the young age of no more than nine years old. I know this because we still lived in Kensington at the time and my grandmother was still alive - if you trying to calculate the time / era, it was approx 1990.


I remember being accompanied by my mom (and someone else also but that was not important to remember who it was), we went to a nearby house in my home town Kensington (in Cape Town not JHB). The entire lounge was filled with a variety of shapes and sizes and all individually wrapped up in their _____ paper (the type used for fruit baskets), there was also like a little courtyard just past the kitchen (outside but covered up)and this was another storage room filled with more Easter Eggs ...and even a choice of white or brown chocolate...*me smiles*


Thinking back to this time really makes me appreciate that time - the time of "home made chocolate" made in the home-grown style, right in your neighbours kitchen - the type that was made of cooking chocolate bought from the nearest store around the corner; the moulds that were used were the plastic ones that I bet are still available at some "babbie" stores . A "babbie" as it is called, in my mind is referred to as a muslim shop owner, selling spices, rice that is weighed off in front of you, Tambrein, henna, okka pipes, okka tobacco and all sorts of little muslim literature books etc - I am particularly thinking of the one that was inside Foodworld mall in Westridge MPlain, he was next to Namso...anyone remember?



Ya so what...I had at least 10 different types of bunnies in their unique poses, I also had a huge hollow egg, I even remember that all my eggs were beautifully packed into my white plastic container - NO, not the used ice cream containers!! This was an actual Tupperware type container, and I remember it was filled to the top, and I was VERY PROUD to have SUCH alot of eggs and I don't even think I ate them all in one go because I treasured them so much.



Back to Year 2008: So I walk into Pick n Pay and I see the stand of bunnies all nicely wrapped up in this gold and red foil wrapping and something catches my eye...LINDT!!! ITS A LINDT EASTER BUNNY!!!! My heart sank when I saw this little treasure no bigger than five centimetres high, priced at a whopping R23,99 or was it R21,99 - there was a bigger one too at something like R27 or whatever - well the point is that it was shit expensive!!!



I wasn't intentionally looking for any easter eggs as I knew (of past experience) that the price would increase the closer it got the time of Easter and so I bought mine end of January already when shops just started packing them out...yeah, another cheapy kulerd trick of mine...I am sure that if I ate fish I would have bought that with my Christmas shopping already and frozen it until today! ha ha...pickled fish Friday tommoz...



How the hell? The chocolate is REALLY GOOD we all know that and either im just a cheapy or really unaware of the price we pay for good chocolate? I must admit that I have cut down enormously since 'the A word' appeared in my face and needless to say that I try to avoid chocolate at all costs - but I still can't stop thinking about having a Lindt Easter Bunny Rabbit :-(


I want I want I want



Maybe I gonna go oogle at the festival to see whats cooking (well besides chocolate of course) at the Canal Walk Lindt Chocolate Festival this weekend!!
"Hop into Canal Walk Shopping Centre and be spoilt rotten with Easter chocolate treats, activities and competitions brought to you by Lindt."
When: 18 – 24 March 2008
Time: 9am to 9pm



YUP! A Chocolate Festival :-) YUM YUM YUM



Some useless info but kinda relevant to this topic:
I loved the Charlie and the Cholcolate Factory movie...the book by Roald Dahl was my first Big person's book I read in Std 3. My first book I read from beginning to the end without it being prescribed to me by my teacher nor forced to read in English class...



I'm SO eggcited its this time of the year...Its Oxy Cute Them time~! Boing Boing Boing me bounces off to bed...

No comments: